Sunday, July 4, 2010

Myrtle Anniversary Shaker Table

Wood is the traditional present to celebrate 5 years of happy marriage. With this inspiration I've decided to make for us a family dinning table in the same style as the shaker trestle I built in 2008 (blog | forums | Lumber Jocks.)


The timber (from Boutique Timbers) is Tasmania Myrtle (Nothofagus Cunninghamii). I have 6 x 1" boards of fiddleback, and 6 x 2" slabs (with faults) to make the project from.


The overall style will be the same as the 2008 Blackbutt table with a few modifications The size is slightly larger 2m x 1m (cf: 1.8m x 0.9m) to seat 8 comfortably. The legs will be slightly wider, but the same height and shape. The top is quite different. The centre boards are only 20mm thick dressed. To strengthen the top I will be edging the top with 40mm stock and have cross braces underneath. (Don't worry I've taken into account wood expansion.)


I haven't decided on chairs or table. I would love shaker chairs, but lack a lath and time. I love the communal feel to having benches compared to chairs. The main problem I heard from the 2008 table are the lack of backs on the benches.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, coolies. Thanks for sharing.
    May God bless, for years to come, the family that sits around this table.
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete

Like at Facebook

Redbubble