At this stage it looks like the workshop will have power before Christmas. It's all become a little complex (cough cough expensive) but it should allow for ample power and flexibility now and into the future. Plenty of 15A outlets, plenty of lights, and even a three phase. Any feedback is appreciated.
Sunday, November 24, 2013
Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Monday, September 16, 2013
This post follow's up a post earlier in the year when I planted from heirloom carrots in newspaper pots. The experiment was a mixed success. The pots while out of the ground dried out quickly and I lost a number of seedlings. In the ground after transfer they did a lot better. Next time though I will have smaller thinner pots to help the breakdown of paper.
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
With the end of winter rapidly upon us, the garden is starting to spring into bloom. The vegetable raised bed is not quite ready but progress is being made. The site is excavated by hand. Drainage pipe laid. Timber beginning to come together with halflaps, wooden dowels, and dovetails.
Wednesday, July 17, 2013
Wednesday, June 26, 2013
While the shop continues to be without power my focus has remained on the gardens. I'm installing various garden beds and in particular a large one on the north side of the shop. This bed will be 5.4-6m long x 1.2m wide x 0.5m high, made from 2.4m x 1.2m x 50mm Tallowwood sleepers. A simple task to cut to size and screw together... however... I don't like simple. Rather than simple screws I've decided to dovetail the joints. In a sense treating the project as a rather large chest or blanket box.
To begin with I've used hardwood dowel and titebond 3 to joint the end pieces.
I've recently acquired a Makita BDF459SHE brushless drill. This is a piece of kit I can definitely recommend. Plenty of power. Not too heavy. Holds a charge well.
I used the circular saw to trim the ends using a MDF guide and a Chris Vesper Square.
Then laid out the joints like I would any other.
However, the dovetail saw stayed in the toolchest and the 4351FCT Jigsaw did all the hard work.
A slight deflection in the blade resulted in some angled cuts. However, repeating the cuts on the other side and adjusting the oscillation of the saw resulted in a good result without chiselling.
The site of the future Northside bed. I've be excavating slowly by hand to level it and remove rocks. I'll also be placing a drainage channel along the edge.
Joining the sleepers end on end will be a little tricker... perhaps finger joints, perhaps half lap... proper scraf joints made be a little too much.
Post by Daniel Labels: Garden
Saturday, June 15, 2013
Thursday, June 13, 2013
I'm in the process of deciding on Shop Layout before locking in the electrical wiring plans. FineWoodworking make a handy shop planner which was faster than my attempts in SketchUp.
The shop is 4.8x5.4m. Main tools are a tablesaw/ router combo, jointer/ planner combo, 14" bandsaw, 3hp dusty, drill press, large workbench, large tool chest, and the shelving. All the tools are wheel mounted.
The bandsaw and jointer/ planner combo are used for initial milling/ machining and therefore have long pieces to deal with. Hence why the bandsaw is near the door (and probably jointer should be swapped with the drill press.)
The tablesaw/ router combo is quite large and I'd like to keep it central.
The dusty I may move to the other side of the wall.
Sunday, June 9, 2013
The old green shed is starting to look more like a real woodwork shop. The shelving is installed and going to good use. The tools are unloaded and put in their place. Various machinery settling into place. The bench positioned, wheels removed and vices installed. General tidy up and rubbish removal. (The engine crane and scrap bin in the photo is planned to go to storage.)
The shed's second section will be dedicated to storage. Ultimately I'll place a large wood rack on the wall, and move the scrap bin in here.
Next to the shed I've dedicated an areas 1.2m x 5.6m for a raised vegetable garden bed. Because of the slope of the hill this has meant shifting a lot of soil by hand. This should be installed in the next few weeks.